Monday, November 12, 2007

Safely in Quito



We made it.
If you look closely, you'll see that the Asientos (seats) are 1D and 1F and the word 'BUSINESS' at the top of the boarding voucher...
Yep. Due to the fact that we were delayed yesterday, and the long amount of time we spent attempting to check in this morning meant they upgraded us to Business class for the two hour flight to Quito!

We got to relax in the big comfy chairs with lots of leg room, ate our Caesar salad, a glass of white wine and enjoyed our Cinnamon cake with coffee. We reclined our seats, watched some Cold Case then read our books.

So yes Mum, we made it here safely. You can stop worrying now. When we landed at the airport we could see the crashed plan still hanging off the edge of the runway. It was an incredible sight. Unfortunately I couldn't take any photos of it because electronic devices were "Not to be used until well inside the terminal".
After the runway, there was a bit of a downward slope so the plane was leaning over to one side. I could just imagine the yellow inflatable slides hanging from it and people streaming down them.

The hotel in Quito isn't bad. We've got a meeting for the start of our tour at 5pm. We take a small plane flight to Baltra Island tomorrow morning to begin our four day cruise.



More info when we get back to the mainland!

6 comments:

The Borg said...

Viewing the plane crash upon arrival is quite amusing in a morbid way. Good advertisement for the airport: "This is how we land you."

The picture - is that Ecuador or is that Baltra Island?

Lisa said...

Hey, there was a picture of the plane in one of London's free evening newspapers last night and I remembered reading that you couldn't take any photos of it so I've cut it out for you! I'll either post it back, or more likely I won't get around to it and I'll give it to you in 9 months when I'm home!!! But remind me what your address is just in case I do get around to it (I know it's Olinda Grove but can't for the life of me remember the number :-)

Hope you're having a great time!

Melanie said...

hey, you guys are off already!!! time has gone fast, and not just for mahlia :p hope it all gets bit more traveller friendly for you :) take care. mel

jennie said...

just testing

jennie said...

hello my intrepid travellers. this is the first time I'm sending a comment from work, goodness knows whether it'll work or not, the one at home will only work if Jamie logs on for us and you can just imagine how much he loves doing that for us every time because it involves using his password !!!. We haven't heard from you for a few days so I presume you're still on the islands. Can't wait to hear what it was like.

Ami said...

Thanks Lisa - we tried to find a photo on the internet but everything was in Spanish which made it a bit hard!