Sunday, December 2, 2007

New York, New York


The New York skyline over the Central Park Resovoir at sunset

Its amazing what you can do with a low-end digital camera when you've got views like this to shoot!

New York was an absolte breath of fresh air (Ok, perhaps that wasn't the best phrase to use there, the air wasn't exactly easy to breathe at times, but bare with me - I'm tired). Especially having come from LA. The people were courtious, the city felt safe and the public transport system was fantastic. Also, New York bagels are a great (and cheap) breakfast.

When we arrived at our hotel (The Vanderbilt YMCA), we were greeted by a modern and great looking foyer containing a modern and great looking receptionist. We checked in and got our keys, then headed upstairs.
When the elevator doors opened, we thought it'd taken us to another building. The corridor was old and the doors to the rooms were much too close together to allow us to hold any hope that we'd get a big room.
Imagine an empty broom closet. Now imagine that same broom closet with a bunk bed and a colour tv. Thats it, you've got it.
Basically the room was only good for sleeping in which turned out to be fine. We spent more time out exploring than we did in our room anyway.

On the first day we caught the subway to Central Park and made our way to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Inside we found a great many things, too many to list here. I hear a picture speaks a thousand words, so I'll let it do it for me -


(What words come to mind for you?(Please, not a thousand))

After that we wandered Central Park. It was absolutely breath-taking in the fall. The leaves were all a golden brown and falling on the ground. The park was quiet, but we still found some interesting sights. There was a large group of people dancing on roller skates/blades around a DJ who was doofing away. I understand the kids call them phat beats. There was even a dude dancing on a Segway with a lady on skates!


^Spot Amy at Bethesda Fountain!




^A squirrel on the move

Visited Times Square almost every day we were there. There was just so much to see!
We went to Ripley's, ate hot-dogs, saw Hitman at the cinema (To Steve: Nyah nyah!) and even got to see Mary Poppins on Broadway, despite the stage-hand strike! The Broadway show was just incredible. I didn't much expect to be excited by a Disney film adaption, but it was great. The sets were perfect, the music was faithfully reproduced and sung and the special effects were amazing. We hope that the strike has finished in time for our trip to Montreal from Boston. We have an overnight stay in New York on the 6th of Dec and really want to see The Lion King.



I'm almost asleep at the keyboard here so I'll keep it short from now on (Amy's already asleep).

We walked across brooklyn bridge which afforded us some beautiful views of the city. Well worth the sore feet!
We even got to see one of the many iterations of Law and Order being filmed! We were ushered off the set very quickly, but not before I got a shot of some guy I understand is a main character.




Well, thats all from me. I could go on, but these toothpicks are hurting my eyelids.
Goodnight all.

4 comments:

Jason said...

I guess I should have mentioned that weird lady with the torch and robes.

We caught the Stanton Island ferry which meant we got great views without it costing us a cent. The Statue of Liberty is off-limits to people now - you can't climb it because of the security risks. Subsequently, it wasn't worth the money to catch the ferry to Ellis island.

Yvonne said...

good to hear you are having a good time,
love
yvonne

Katie said...

Hey - you called autumn 'fall'! Very un-australian, Jas.
New York sounds great. It's weird that you can't climb the statue of liberty - what are the security risks?

Ami said...

Hey guys. katie, I think Jason called it "Fall" deliberately - he makes me speak American here. He's always yelling at me for calling it the "footpath" instead of the "sidewalk".

We keep on seeing so many cute things to buy Noah, but Jason keeps reminding me that the space in our bags is fast running out, not to mention the fact that I pretty much break my back every time I try to put it on now!