Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Washington DC


On Thursday we had a 3 hour train ride to Washington DC, which was much quieter and more relaxed than the bustle of New York. I wanted to put up a photo to show everyone our wonderful family and hosts, but they bribed us with lots of wine and hot chocolate, so we better not. My Aunty Debbie met us at the station and took us to their friends house where we stayed.

They were all very welcoming and it was great to be able to relax there and eat real home-cooked food for a few days!! I got rather into Sudoku while we were there, although that was nothing compared to my puzzle addiction.....

We saw all the major sights....

The Capitol, where some students in costumes sang us some Christmas Carols

The White House
The monuments


We went to the National Portrait Gallery. I challenge you to tell me which president this is a sculpture of.....


A sculpture park (this huge spider is just for you Mum!!!)


It was really nice to go to a city with family there - much more relaxing than staying in a hotel room. And because it was cold I got to snuggle up in front of an open fire - one of my favourite things to do.
One last thing..... Happy Birthday to my wonderful 20 year old sister (I know it's not really your birthday any more, but it is here for another 6 hours!!). We hope you had a fantastic day and love you very much.

3 comments:

The Borg said...

The National Portrait Gallery rocks! I love the Presidential section. And the spider is cool too.

Did you go up close to the Washington Monument and flip out over how big it is??

Nice that you got to east some home cooked food! Bought American food will usually make your stomach churn.

ckjolly said...

ack! i should have told you about the Spy Museum ... super cool.

Ami said...

We got pretty close to the Washington Monument (but not right underneath it). And yes it was huge. But we still liked the FDR one better.

And Christine, you did tell us about the spy museum, but I wrote something about it on a postcard to you so I didn't talk about it on the blog.